Dr. Meenakshi T Sahu specializes in treatment of fibroids at Delhi. She uses different approaches individualizing treatment based on age, symptoms, patient desiring fertility, size and number of fibroids, and location of fibroids.
What is fibroid ?
Fibroids are balls of muscle growth that form inside the uterus. Many patients come in a panic stricken state and ask questions on cancer. Dr. Meenakshi says, that fibroids are generally not cancer. They are just abnormal growth of muscles inside uterus.
What are causes of fibroids ?
The cause of fibroids is not specifically known. However it has been observed that fibroids grow in response to femal hormones – estrogen and progesterone. Thus, one of the reason as to why fibroids are rare before puberty and also when menopause sets in the growth of fibroids cease.
What are the symptoms of fibroid ?
Majority of fibroids are small and may not cause any symptoms at all. Dr. Meenakshi T Sahu says that in vast majority who are referred to her at Delhi or who come for getting second opinion for fibroids at Delhi, it may be only an incidental finding, and intervention is only required in few depending on size, number of fibroids, and if one is considering pregnancy. Fibroids are more likely to produce symptoms if there are large, many fibroids, or are uniquely located at certain location at uterus. Fibroids may cause the following symptoms:
- Heavy periods
- Pelvic pressure and pain . Sometimes patients may describe it as feeling of fullness in the belly
- Difficulty in passage of stools
- Making one feel to go and pass urine frequently
- Infertility pregnancy – difficulty in getting pregnanct due to fibroids
Can fibroids cause infertility ?
Many a times there are patients who are referred after a failed IVF despite removal of fibroids. It is important to understand that yes, while fibroids may be a cause of infertility, but it is not the only cause towards infertility. As per Dr. Meenakshi T Sahu, majority of women with small fibroids are able to conceive and achieve pregnancy without any problem. However, it may be worth to go ahead for removal of fibroids if the growth impinges upon the endometrium (the uterine lining) which in turn interferes with implantation of embryo post fertilization naturally or after IVF. So before going through any procedure, we typically will discuss with you on how your fibroid impairs your uterus function and if at all the team feels that it may be the cause of infertility.
All women who have fibroids and have infertility, should go through a very detail evalulation to find out other causes of infertility.
How are fibroids treated ? Fibroid treatment at Delhi ?
Dr. Meenakshi T Sahu specializes in treatment of fibroids at Delhi. She uses different approaches individualizing treatment based on age, symptoms, patient desiring fertility, size and number of fibroids, and location of fibroids. If patients don’t have any symptom , not desiring pregnancy and size is very small, the vast majority need not be treated. The various options of treatment are:
- Medicine treatment of fibroids: The medical treatment is used to reduce the heavy bleeding if associated with fibroids. One may also use special hormonal injection and pills to reduce the hormone levels of women that in turn may help reduce the size of fibroids.
- Surgery treatment of fibroids: At Delhi, we specialize in various surgery treatment of fibroids. We do surgery if there is severe symptoms in the form of uterine bleeding or size is big to cause mass-related symptoms, or if we feel that fibroid is the cause of recurrent pregnancy loss., or infertility. The various surgery treatment of fibroids are : hysterectomy (uterus is removed), myomectomy (only the fibroid is removed and the other part of uterus is spared), or uterine artery embolization (blood supply to fibroids are cut), or endometrial ablation (the uterine lining is destroyed)
Laparoscopic myomectomy for fibroids at Delhi ? Laparscopic surgery for fibroids at Delhi ?
The team under leadership of Dr. Meenakshi Sahu, routinely conducts procedure for fibroids. With our specialist team we perform minimal invasive surgeries for many of our patients suffering from gynecology disorders.
Myomectomy is a procedure during which fibroids are removed. This can be done by minimal invasive techniques:
- Hysteroscopic Myomectomy: The operative instruments gain an entry to uterus via vagina, and with the surgical expertise the fibroids are cut out from the uterus, sparing the other parts of uterus. It is typically done for fibroids that protrude into the cavity of uterus.
- Laparoscopic Myomectomy: We perform laparoscopic removal of fibroids at Delhi. Laparoscopic surgery is removal of fibroids using minimal invasive techniques. This is a procedure in which multiple small incision are made on the abdomen. Via such incisions, small operative instruments are inserted that shows the operative field to the surgeons, and the with the instrument that carry small scissors the fibroids are then taken out.
Laparoscopic myomectomy is technically difficult than the traditional open wound surgery. It requires special training and high degree of skills to handle laparoscopic instruments.
Hysterectomy for fibroids at Delhi ?
As a norm Dr. Meenakshi T. Sahu tries her best efforts to manage fibroids without the necessity of hysterectomy. She believes in the philosophy of saving uterus for any gynecology disorders. Unfortunately there are some distressing symptoms or indications in which the only procedure to maintain a good quality of life may be hysterectomy. She suggests hysterectomy on a case to case basis as a last resort. Some examples where hysterectomy may be considered are : a) acute and heavy bleeding that does not respond to the right dose and type of medicine; b) women who have completed child bearing and family complete, and have distressing significant symptoms; c) women who have completed family and child bearing and have added risks of uterine or ovarian cancer.
We perform hysterectomy at Delhi both by open surgery as well as vaginal hysterectomy and minimal invasive surgery on a case to case basis . In majority of patients we do not remove the ovaries while doing the hysterectomy. There are set of international guidelines that we recommend and try follow in all cases while choosing to remove or spare ovaries. The entire surgical technique, pros and cons of each type of surgery and whether it is important to spare cervix or ovaries will be discussed in detail with you at our clinics at Delhi.